Enhance your volunteer capacity with AmeriCorps VISTA!
What is AmeriCorps VISTA?
- AmeriCorps VISTA is a national service program sponsored by the federal government.
- Members receive a modest living allowance in exchange for a year of service in low-income communities
- MAVA VISTAs serve across the state to expand, improve, and sustain volunteer programming that connects Minnesotans to the resources they need to move out of poverty
- Learn more: NationalService.gov.
What do VISTA members do?
- Enhance your organization’s engagement of volunteers to better meet your mission
- Develop or expand volunteer programs, create or expand volunteer or staff training, strengthen partnerships, research and develop volunteer program resources, and more
Members don’t replace a staff position or perform ongoing volunteer management functions. MAVA only assigns VISTAs to organizations that have a volunteer resources staff position in place.Your site provides member support, supervision, and a welcoming environment including:
- Onsite orientation, training, and guidance for the VISTA member
- Quarterly progress reports and program evaluations to MAVA
- Participation in site visits and supervisor trainings
- Workspace and office equipment
Is my organization eligible?
Yes, if your organization:
- Is a nonprofit, educational institution or public agency that serves Minnesota communities in poverty
- Needs a VISTA member to complete a three-year capacity-building project to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of or develop/expand a volunteer program
- Will provide consistent on-site supervision and support to a VISTA member year-round
- Can contribute a portion of the cost to support the VISTA member ($4,000 or $11,796)
- Isn't currently participating in a Service Enterprise training cohort
How do we apply?
Sites are selected in a competitive application process. VISTAs begin their service August 1.