Partner with MAVA to expand your volunteer capacity!
Could your volunteer program benefit from tender loving care? Turn to AmeriCorps VISTA! The Minnesota Association for Volunteer Administration is seeking host sites for August 2016-17.
What is AmeriCorps VISTA?
- AmeriCorps VISTA is a national service program sponsored by the federal government.
- Members receive a modest living allowance in exchange for a year of service in low-income communities
- MAVA VISTAs serve across the state to expand, improve, and sustain volunteer programming that connects Minnesotans to the resources they need to move out of poverty
- Learn more: NationalService.gov.
What do VISTA members do?
- Enhance your organization’s engagement of volunteers to better meet your mission
- Develop or expand volunteer programs, create or expand volunteer or staff training, strengthen partnerships, research and develop volunteer program resources, and more
Members don’t replace a staff position or perform ongoing volunteer management functions. MAVA only assigns VISTAs to organizations that have a volunteer resources staff position in place.Your site provides member support, supervision, and a welcoming environment including:
- On-site orientation, training, and guidance for the VISTA member
- Quarterly progress reports and program evaluations to MAVA
- Participation in site visits and supervisor trainings
- Workspace and office equipment
- Inclusion of VISTA in staff meetings and events
- VISTA project that does not replace duties of a staff position
Is my organization eligible?
Yes, if your organization:
- Is a nonprofit, educational institution or public agency that serves Minnesota communities in poverty
- Needs a VISTA member to complete a three-year capacity-building project to increase the efficiency and effectiveness or develop/expand a volunteer program
- Will provide consistent on-site supervision and support to a VISTA member year-round
- Can contribute a portion of the cost to support the VISTA member ($4,000 or $11,796)
- Isn't currently participating in the Service Enterprise Initiative
How do we apply?
Applications are due by 5 PM on January 25. Sites are selected in a competitive application process. VISTAs begin their service in early August.
To talk with someone about your project idea, contact Krista Eichhorst at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-255-0469.